First off, Happy Birthday Mom, I love you!
Secondly, last night I went to my students winter play at the Neue Oberschule. They have been working on it for a long time and it was really well done. The piece they performed, "Happy New Year?", was an excerpt from a longer work called A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. The show has four main characters, Martin, Maureen, Jess and JJ. These four strangers happen to meet on the roof of a high building called Topper's House in London on New Year's Eve, each with the intent of committing suicide. Their plans for death in solitude, however, are ruined when they meet. The play recounts their misadventures as they decide to come down from the roof alive - however temporarily that may be. The rest of the play focuses on how they kind of band together to try and overcome their ambitions of suicide. All in all, it was a really sad and slightly draining evening. I'm not trying to say the play was bad, it wasn't. It was just a difficult subject to perform/watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment