Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Peach State

Today I visited an 8th grade class with Frau Krause.  The 8th grade English book's theme is the United States, and today the students were presenting projects they had prepared on various states.  Luckily, the first state presented was Georgia!!  Here are the basic facts that they presented (I'm not saying that all of them are completely accurate, lol):

  • Georgia is the "Peach State
  • It is predominately republican
  • Sonny Perdue is the governor
  • it has 9.4 million inhabitants
  • Atlanta is the capital
  • highest point = Brasstown Bald
  • it was the home of MLK
  • Okefenokee Swamp has millions of alligators in it!
  • The Blue Ridge Mountains and the Appalachian Mountains are in the northern part of the state
  • the landscape is plain
  • the main religion is Christianity
My favorite part of the presentation was hearing the young German boys pronounce Okefenokee and Appalachian!  I tried to correct them, but they looked at me like I was crazy.  German is a very phonetic language, so everything can be sounded out.  But these Native American names are really difficult for them.  They also kept calling Native Americans indish people.

Other states that were presented were Massachusetts, Texas, Arizona, Kentucky, and Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment