Monday, November 15, 2010

Thumbs Up! Thumbs Down.

Today I went to two more films at the Braunschweig International Film Festive. 

The first one, Die Reise Nach Metropolis was really interesting.  "The Journey to Metropolis" is about the long process of reconstructing one of the most important German films of all time.  Fritz Lang's Metropolis was not a huge success in Germany when it was released in the 1920's, and was then sent out to various countries around the world for release.  Almost all the countries that received the film made drastic changes before releasing it and simply threw away what was removed.  Needless to say, the entire process of putting the film back to it's original state involved many film restorers, film historians, and some very important but very damaged pieces of film found in the archives in Argentina.

I especially wanted to come see this film today since I'm going to the film concert tomorrow night.

Thumbs up to Die Reise nach Metropolis!

The second film I saw was an Italian film called Was will ich mehr (What More Could I Want) and it was awful.  Two people in the movie, both with significant others, have an affair.  They can't decide if they love each other or not, and eventually decide to end it.  What I just told you in two sentences took them 2.5 hours.  So dull, and pointless.

Thumbs down to Was will ich mehr!

No comments:

Post a Comment