Monday, April 4, 2011

München and Neuschwantstein



First I just have to say that this was the BEST WEEKEND EVER!

About a week ago, I decided to invite a fellow fulbrighter named Nessa to come with me to see the fairytale castle of Neuschwanstein near München or Munich Germany.  Since our plans were kind of last minute, we were a little worried about getting the best deal and everything working out alright.  Well, after this weekend, I can tell you that God really wanted this weekend to work because so many things that could have gone horribly wrong, worked out. There was a transit strike on Friday, and when I jumped on a random train in order to make my connector, the lady didn't make me pay for a ticket!  When we got to München, our hostel told us they had overbooked the dorm we had reserved, and gave us a private room!  The next day, it was 75 degrees and sunny when we made our way to Füssen (the town in the Bavarian Alps closest to Neuschwanstein).  I should also mention that that very morning at the train station, I found a necklace that I had been looking for for years that looks like the rose from Beauty and the Beast!  It was the perfect fairytale weekend.

The castle tour was amazing!  The Castle was built by Ludwig II, know as "The Fairytale King," "The Mad King," or "The Lonely King."  A very unhappy man, he threw his energy into building these elaborate fairytale castles.  We were also able to see the castle from an overlook bridge called the Marienbrücke.  Another stroke of good luck - the bridge was closed for renovations until the day we visited!  It had the most beautiful view from the top.  We also got to tour around inside the castle, which was just as wonderful as the outside if not more so.  No photographs were allowed inside the castle, so I bought a batch of postcards.  I really felt like I was in "Snow White."  Everything was so ornate and intricate.  After our tour, we descended the mountain and headed back into the city.  After some real authentic German cuisine, we got some much needed rest.

View from the Castle


The next morning, Nessa and I had to part ways, unfortunately.  She had an earlier train than me, which left me more time to explore the city.  I did one of the free walking tours around the city.  We saw most of the main sights and got to know some awesome history.  My tour of Munich concluded with my having lunch outside at a restaurant.  For those of you who don't know, in Europe, if a restaurant is crowded, they may very well seat other people at your table if there are free chairs, so my solitary lunch turned into a lively conversation with 2 German men who sat with me.  They were really very sweet and nice to talk to.

Here are some of the sights I saw on my tour around Munich's old town:

The New Town Hall, complete with Glockenspiel

The Opera House and statue of King Max I

The Theatinerkirche

Inside the Theatinerkirche

People in Lederhosen were everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment