Saturday, February 26, 2011

Shopping and Goodbyes

Sorry I haven't been very diligent in updating the blog everyday this week.  It was kind of boring from my end, but yesterday was a lot of fun!  Alyssa and Amanda (2 wonderful girls from church) came to visit and go shopping with me in Braunschweig.  Of course, the one day I have people coming to visit me from out of town, Deutsche Bahn went on strike and most of the trains were late or canceled.  They only were delayed an hour luckily, and we set out in search of second-hand shops in Braunschweig.  I got lucky and found a great pair of shoes and a skirt, all for only 12 euro. 

After Alyssa and Amanda left for Peine, I went out to dinner with some of my British friends, since two of them are leaving today for other teacher positions.  They did a half a year in Germany and a half a year in France.  Dinner was absolutely lovely, and we got to talk about differences between England and the US.  While talking about stereotypes, they pointed out something to me that another American had said to them.  Ellie was talking with some Americans she met in Argentina about the world's stereotypes about Americans and they said, "The people you meet outside of America are usually different from the people who choose not to travel outside the country."  To some extent, I would agree with this.  I also got to learn awesome new British words, like when it's the appropriate context to use the word 'blooming.'  Like, it's a "blooming beautiful day today!"  At the end of the night, I said goodbye to Alyson and Rachel and wish them the best time in France and Spain!

No comments:

Post a Comment